I’ve been using my own laundry detergent for about half a year now and I’m never going back. Mind you, When I first found this idea on the web I was completely skeptical but after I read the reviews, I figured that all these people can’t be lying. So I gave it a shot.
You will need:
- Borax (I don’t want to hear if it’s toxic or not)
- Washing Soda
- Whatever brand of laundry bar soap you prefer
- Regular, Non-Iodized Table Salt (yes salt. I’ll explain later)
- Scent Crystals (any brand, optional)
- 1 cup of borax
- 1 cup of washing soda
- 3 cups of salt
- 1 cup of crushed scent crystals
- half bar of ZOTE, finely grated ( that’s the brand I used)
- Mix everything together and you are done! (Now wasn’t that easy?!)
Notes & Tips:
- You only need 2 TBSP per load (medium size load), or 3-4 TBSP for larger loads.
- The salt is to keep colors on clothes. Yes it’s safe on clothes.
- After washing, leave your washer open for a few hours to air out the moisture. My machine has not had that musty smell since I started using this soap and stop being lazy with the lid. Same goes for the dryer.
- I have a top loading washer.
- I ONLY use the cold water wash.
- I DO NOT put my jeans, dresses, and tops in the dryer. It also keeps the colors longer and prevents shrinking. Everything else I still dry by machine.
I’ve decided to still blog as much as possible (in bulk if I have to) in order to make up for lost time. School has been driving me nuts and with midterm coming up, it’s not getting any easier.